Saturday, November 14, 2009

Family Legacy

So of all things to pass along to your child, having active nights is one I'd hoped to let die with me. I was infamous for having active, very real dreams. And I was known to get up and walk around while sleeping. Mom and Dad had to install latches on our doors at the very top so I couldn't reach them, unlock the door and sleepwalk outside. I hate to say that it runs in the family, but Clifton has done a few crazy things in his sleep. And his wife Amy has some hilarious stories about Clifton's antics in the middle of the night.

My super-detailed dreams have slowed (probably too tired) and I don't sleepwalk anymore (or so my husband tells me). But to this day, I still talk in my sleep, although those nights are fewer and farther between. My college roommate, Meredith, used to give me such a hard time about my "Night Conversations" and how I'd scare the living daylights out of her when I'd fire up. These days, JP has learned to just roll with what ever I'm saying and get me to fall back asleep.

So where's the legacy in all of this? Well for three nights in a row, Mason has come out of a dead sleep into a full-blown scream and mumbling, tears and all, and then back to a dead sleep in a matter of minutes. There's no telling what he's dreaming about, but his volume is way up when he decided to "tell" us about it. First night freaked JP and I out. I never knew we could move like that at 2 in the morning. And last night was just crazy, because I'm home alone while JP is hunting with his brother and nephews, and Mason lets out a scream. By the time I get in his room, he's out cold but has tears running down his face...broke my heart.

I have this feeling that in a few years we'll find Mason on the back porch in the middle of the night howling at the moon or something. At least he'll be in good company.

No comments:

Post a Comment