Friday, July 2, 2010

Going through Granny's things

We had the fantastic gift of a visit with my cousin Cheryl, her hubby Koy and their two beautiful daughters, Natalie and Callie. Cheryl is my mom's brother, John's daughter. She's the only other female cousin on my mom's side, so she has a very special place in my heart and childhood memories. Cheryl was always the young lady I've looked up. I shadowed her as a young girl when she and her brother, Matt, came to visit and she was a fantastic substitute-big-sister.

The family came as a part of a multi-stop trip over the 4th of July weekend. And while we enjoyed a fantastic visit with them all (there is always a massive amount of laughter when you mix us all together), we also tackled the task of going through Granny Temple's things. Mom had tackled a large part of the process but she needed help dividing up the quilts, paintings and other things. While it was a little hard at times, I wouldn't trade the great memories and stories that bubbled to the surface as a result of the process.

We all walked away from the visit feeling so blessed for the legacy of love that was paved before us by our Granny and Grandpa.

Betty and Deborah...she was so proud of her precious, beautiful daughter. Mom jokes often that while Granny did good to quickly run a comb through her hair, she was so particular about how Deborah stepped out. She thought mom was the most beautiful little girl God ever made. And when mom went back to college, Granny was one of her biggest cheerleaders...even to the point of helping with our family's laundry (that's love).

Granny Betty and Cheryl...her first grandchild and such a point of light for Granny. You can't imagine the sheer joy Granny had when talking about her. Granny was so impressed with and proud of her artistic gifts, sense of style and humor, and the love Cheryl has for family.

Granny Betty and Leslie...I was her birthday present (literally). She prayed that I'd be born on her birthday and she had great pull with the Lord. I was due April 12th and was born May 15th...that's a powerful prayer warrior, wouldn't you say?!?!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Leslie. This is such a beautiful post. We both loved our Granny so much! At this moment (I just took a break to check blogs and fix something to drink.) I am unpacking Granny's Apple Dishes. The sink is filled with suds and I'm having a ball handwashing them as Granny did. They are finding special places in my kitchen. I remember so many meals on those dishes and I can just hear Grandpa saying the blessing as he always did. We had a great visit...all too short though! Come on up to West Texas and we'll have a ball!
    Love you all,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete