Thursday, February 11, 2010

Wedding Cake

My step-sister Tamara got married this past weekend. As a wedding gift to the couple, I volunteered to tackle the wedding cake. It's been a few years since I've done such a large baking project, but I really did have fun doing it.

At one point when I was baking cake after cake, JP thought he'd come home to a crazy baker, but he was a great help. And as with any project I tackle, there was a bit of drama as I'm finishing it off. Icing always throws you a curve ball when you aren't looking. After working some baking magic, I got the icing to cooperate and I'm really proud of the end product.

A sea of spice cake. This was the point of no return!!

The layers assembled and dirty iced. The largest layer (16") required my baking assistant. Thank God he is a calming force in my life because me man-handled that top layer to get it sandwiched.

The bride LOVES purple, so I went on a mad hunt for purple cake decorations. I found the coolest M&M's that fit the bill. These are the premium M&M's that are called Triple Chocolate. They had the prettiest finish and the variations of color made for a beautiful border around the cakes. While lovely, it was a tedious task.

Finished layers. And I couldn't have done it without JP. He served as bartender (notice the beer stein in the picture...he kept it full) and "holiday" finder. Let me explain. He'd survey the finished cake and alert me to any "holidays" in the icing coverage (man-speak for "the cake is still showing"). I think he was amazed to watch the process unfold in his kitchen.

FINAL ASSEMBLY!!! I was so glad to have it finished and looking great. And it was moist and tasted great as well...BONUS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment