Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Second-hand nest

I've been known to decorate with all kinds of things, including bird nests. About two weeks ago, we had a dramatic storm pass through with all of the usual suspects...thunder, lightening, rain and WIND. The next morning, I noticed a birds nest that blew out of our oak tree by our back porch. So I picked up the next and placed it in our monster fern.


Fast forward a few days and much to my shock and surprise, I noticed an egg in the fern-nest. I have always been under the impression that a bird won't come near a nest if it has the scent of a human. Matter of fact I can still hear Granny instructing me "don't touch". But in spite my handling of the nest, a bird has laid an egg in that nest. Sad to say, I've not seen the bird since I've noticed the egg, but we are taking the hands-off, wait-and-see approach, just in case the egg hatches.

No comments:

Post a Comment